Thursday, May 13, 2010

For couples who lived together before getting married?

My fiance and I are living together for almost a year now and we are getting married next month. I just want to know if somethings will change. I know they say that getting married is just some sort of formality. However, I take marriage very seriously.





What are the changes when you ARE already married? Like the way you are to each other or even about money matters... I just want opinions... Is it better when you are already married compared to just living together? What are the advantages of being married especially for women? Thanks! All opinion matters to me.For couples who lived together before getting married?
My wife did a serious Jeckal and Hyde the day after we were married, at least it seemed like it was the day after. She wanted to be her mother and wanted me to be her father. It didn't work out. Guys quite often go through a change. They think that you are now their mother and will pick up after them, just like she did, cook the meals and be ready in bed every night whether you feel like it or not. If you put up with it then they will continue with it. Bot all of those senarios are different for every person. I had a very religious friend who got divorced, which i would never have expected out of her, and asked her when she knew it was a mistake. She said by the time they got to the airport on their honeymoon. Good luck.For couples who lived together before getting married?
I think marriage is a lot different than living together. After marriage, a lot of people finally let their real selves show. The rings are on, and they start to feel as if it is no longer necessary to treat each other with respect. ';What are you gonna do, leave me?'; For men, they get lazy with the romantic aspect of things. A lot of men claim women let themselves go (we don't any more than the men do) and start nagging (guilty of it myself, but still try not to). Also, when you are married, it's easier to fight about money, because your finances are combined (unless they already are). Marriage is simply a greater commitment. when you are just living together, either of you can leave whenever you want. When you are married, there is more pressure to make it work, it's much different.





Even though it can be more stressful, I'd still rather be married. I love my husband.
I don't think too much changed for us when we got married. We had lived together for almost two years by then..and we had shared our finances for about the last year as well. It was my second marriage, so it was probably easier for me than for him.. The one thing I liked was that all of the address changing, bill/finance combination, etc. was already taken care of. That alleviated alot of stress after we got married.





We knew we wanted children together and that we didn't want their parents to not be married, so that is why we got married. Everything was a smooth transition, and I got pregnant three months later.





I definitely felt the finality of being married - knowing that if I got sick of him and wanted to leave that I just couldn't pick up and go. That was a big eye opener. Marriage is work for sure, but if you really really love each other, then you work at it and its great fun.
I lived with my husband for awhile before we got married and after the marriage nothing changed. I think it changes if you did not live together or you let it change. Just dont make it into a big deal the love is still the same before and after marriage. Good luck and Congrats on the wedding.
We basically got married because, although we were very happy just living together, we felt that other people didn't respect our relationship as much as our married friends.





Things don't change at all, as far as I'm concerned. I find it a little bit duller than just going out with or living with each other because each day you in some way make a decision whether or not to stay with your partner. when you get married that decision is made for you. It makes some women more secure, but then they must have been insecure to begin with.





I know the above doesn't sound very good, but my husband and I have always got on extremely well and our relationship didn't change one iota upon marriage.





We have never been very good at talking about money - we still aren't.


We've always enjoyed spending lots of time together - we still do.


We used to argue a lot about the housework - now we never do.





So, I dunno, it really just depends on you two. best of luck btw
My husband and I lived together for about 7 months before we were married.We are both in our mid 40's.We both had marriages of 25+yrs that ended due to our ex spouses cheating. We lived 100 miles apart from each other.Saw each other only on the weekends.We need to spend more time together to see how things were on a 24/7 basis.If we had lived closer to each other we never would have lived together before marriage.Getting married is not just a formality.It is a commitment between the two of you and God.As far as the way we treat each other or act,ther is no difference.I feel different in my heart because I know that living together was wrong (in my opinion).
we lived together for 6 months before getting married,the only difference after marriage was i quit helping around the house.
The level of committment changes, for the better. Your sense of ease and happiness changes, for the better. Make sure you have all things discussed BEFORE you wed... don't be blindsided by anything.


1 - Religion - what does he believe, what do you believe, do you agree on church post-nuptuals, etc. Church attendance, believe it or not will keep you strong, sounds nutty but it's soooo true


2 - money - will you comingle or keep separate, how is your $ viewed vs his money or is it all OUR money


3 - decisions - how will you make them, is there a $ threshhold or can you spend 900 if you want to,


4 - how will you spend your free time, do you like the same types of vacations, events, etc.


5 - do you want children, if so, when and how many, how will you rear them - spanking, time outs, etc


6 - does he expect you to work or if you are financially able, could you quit? how does this change the $$ division





think through all the items and figure out what else you need to know. Better now than later.





Living together you could have quit at any time - it's harder and more painful to get divorced. Make sure he's the right guy before you jump in. If you're already sure he is, then just get ALL the details, down to how much he has saved for retirement in your book of notes, you need to know how you are financially, emotionally, devotionally, religiously, all of the above!





Good luck!
being married is different than just living together...marriage makes things more complex. you have a greater senze of responsibility for the well-being and actions of your spouse...Once you are married, you know you can't easily just get up and leave..





You want some advice? Here it is: Realize NOW that the two of you won't be the same people in 10 ten years that you are on the wedding day...the two of you will constantly be growing and changing and if you want to stay together you have to figure out if you can handle the people each of you changes into... and if each of you can handle how the other makes their changes...
Things changing depends on the two of you. If after you get married you start nagging him all the time or have different expectations, it will change everything. If you both stay the same, things won't change.
Speaking from experience, nothing changed for us immediately after we got married (we lived together for 1 year before getting married and dated for 6 months before that), except for getting pregnant right away. No real changes even happened after we had our first, or second, child, aside from the responsibilities of being a parent. Our relationship changed after being married for 4 or 5 years when we started getting on each others nerves. We never argued until we started getting too comfortable with each other and we learned a lot more about each other. I'm happy that we lived together first, but I wish we would have lived together even longer to get to know each other better. The real reason I didn't wait was because we were both ready to start a family due to our ages (I was 32 and he was 36).





I would suggest that you try really hard to keep your sense of humor and try to overlook any small negative things you learn about your husband. Try to always focus on the positive aspects of your relationship and the reasons you fell in love with him in the first place. Always be each other's best friend and make an effort to never take him for granted. He'll need to do the same.
Nothing cahnges it's just a piece of paper
I lived with my husband for alittle over two years before we got married and everything stayed the same. The only thing that really changed was my last name. When you live together first you get to find out about all of each others little quirks and get over or adjust to them.
I lived with my husband for 7 years before we were married and when we got married absolutely nothing changed (which i am happy for). I think living together before marriage is a great idea, you never really know that much about someone until you have lived with them

No comments:

Post a Comment