Saturday, January 23, 2010

I think 1st cousins have about the same odds for producing normal offspring as un-related couples do. Agree?

I think the genetic pool refined by 1st cousins is so defuse, that those births would be as normal as you and I having a baby.I think 1st cousins have about the same odds for producing normal offspring as un-related couples do. Agree?
I've read the chance is about 4% (compared to about 2% in the general population). You're probably a lot safer with 2nd cousins.I think 1st cousins have about the same odds for producing normal offspring as un-related couples do. Agree?
Always cite your source.


:-D

Report Abuse



I don't really remember. I think it was Scientific American.

Report Abuse



If I remember my biology that match has a 1/64 chance of getting a bad pairing .. much much higher than normal.
Don't have sex with your cousin thats gross
Well, I believe it's a pretty small chance. Besides, in some countries it is common practice to marry your 1st cousin.
Don't even think about it. It's illegal in most states.
I agree with you 100%....
as far as my knowledge goes, 1st cousins have genetic relatedness of 1/16. i guess, thats a pretty high rate of relatedness in comparison to any unrelated couple. so, whether good or bad, offsprings of cousins do have a considerable degree of odds against those of unrelated cpioles.

No comments:

Post a Comment