Thursday, January 21, 2010

Do gay couples with HIV face the same violence as Heterosexual couples?

I have to write an essay on this subject and i would like input from anybody that can help. This is not a questin about the existence of Hiv so please answer from a sociological stand point?Do gay couples with HIV face the same violence as Heterosexual couples?
Hi there,





I'm not a sociologist; I can only answer from my experiences. Gay couples generally face more violence than straight couples period. End of story. Society still has issues dealing with homosexuality; now that gay marriages have been legalized, that in itself has added more fuel to the ';anti fire'; camp. Throw HIV into the picture and I really don't know if anything changes. Unfortunately I do not know any straight couples where one (or both) partner is HIV+. Whether straight couples face violence I don't know. Being HIV+ myself I know the stigma associated and it's not fun. Have I experience violence, never. From my perspective, and yes I know it's very generalized, when a straight person ';gets'; HIV people feel sorry for them, especially if it's a female (society jumps to the assumption that the male is a pig who has slept around and unwillingly infected his female partner). Regardless of any truth to the point of view, that seems to be what is prevalent. Now, when a gay man gets HIV society is quick to say that he deserved it, it's divine retribution for his way of life. I know they are stereotypes, but stereotypes do originate from somewhere. I agree, that does not make it right.





Cheers.Do gay couples with HIV face the same violence as Heterosexual couples?
Gay couples face much more hatred, ignorance, and violence than heterosexual couples. Remember, most people still are under the impression that if there were no gays there would be no HIV. Of course, this is not true, but, people seem to grab 'people to hate' groups, easier than getting educated about a subject.

No comments:

Post a Comment